“In some decades nothing happens and in some weeks decades happen” – Vladimir Lennon
Would you agree that these are certainly uncertain times for us all and it’s easy for us to wake up and not know what to do?
Is this time for business as usual? Nope!
Time to freak out? Doesn’t help (trust me I did it for a day).
Develop a new plan? Not a bad idea.
This week we are sharing what top agents are doing with their new plan that will provide you some clarity as to what, exactly, you should be doing in the face of this global crisis.
1. Self Care – How we feel inside is what we show on the outside. So take care of yourself first. Mindset, Exercise, Nutrition and Rest.
2. Communication – Now is not the time to retreat into a foxhole and go “radio silent.” It’s time to step up and over-communicate with the people you’re currently working with, have worked with in the past, are members of your database, and with your community at large. But you’ve gotta be smart about it. It’s not about reaching out like everything is normal and asking if they’re considering a move.
- Tell them “I’m here for you. I have your back. What would you like to do?” If they want to pause, let them do so. Doing the right thing is always the right thing.
- Call, text, or send a personal video to EVERY LEAD! Reach out with care and say, “I was just thinking about you. I wanted to reach out and say Are you OK? I just want to let you know I’m here for you.”
- Then send a similar message to members of your database. But not a mass email. I want you communicating personally with 20-30 people in your database every day.
3. Respond To The Question “How’s the market?” Here’s my advice on what to say: “It’s day by day, hour by hour. Some of my buyers/sellers are telling me they want to hold for now, and I’m supporting that decision while I continue to communicate and keep them aware of what’s next. And some of my clients need to sell or buy right now and they’re doing that with our protocols for safety and smart marketing, virtual showings and more.” Then, stop, and say to them… “More importantly, how are you and your family doing? Can I help in any way?” The best bet you can make on the future of your business is bringing humanity to our industry during these trying times.
4. Sharpen Skills – With some consumers choosing to pause their buying or selling activity, now is the time for you to work “on” your business and your personal skills. Dig into your CRM, practice your presentations, refine your marketing, develop your social media channels, figure out how to use Zoom for listing presentations and buyer consultations, etc. That stack of books you’ve been meaning to read? Dig in. Those scripts, dialogs and presentations you haven’t quite mastered yet? Jump on Zoom with a partner and role play. Tech and Sales skills you’ve needed to learn? Take an online course. If your business is being disrupted, make sure you come out of this crisis better prepared to deliver value when things return to normal.
5. Action Plan – Marketing in today’s environment requires a whole new approach and must include empathy for those you reach. Here are three actions you should be taking now…
- Email your entire database every single week. Send them current information, coronavirus-related housing statistics, offers to help, videos from you with your opinion about the market, etc.
- Mail to your geographic farms twice a month. Make it into postcards to educate and inform homeowners about what is happening.
- Increase your social media activity! Put out positive messages. Be the voice of reason. Do video! Do it on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn. You will make or break your brand over the next 30 days.
- Call – Ask them how they are doing? Ask if there is anything you can do to help? Ask them if you can find someone for them to help? Show up and be the leader to you own people.